Project Run & Play, Week One: Buffalo, baby!

prpmain

If you’re coming over from Project Run & Play, welcome! Feel free to poke around and ask questions! This week’s theme was Put Me in the Zoo and it had me stumped for a bit. I’m not much for animal themed/printed/inspired clothing, so I knew I had to really think outside the box on this one! I decided to do a boy look (because there simply isn’t enough boy sewing out there!) and was inspired more by a fabric choice, buffalo check (or buffalo plaid). If you head to the Calgary Zoo you can see some Buffalo (or Wood Bison, as they’re also called). We went this past summer, and the kids enjoyed it so much – especially the peacocks! If you can’t make it there (wait!? You don’t want to brave the -20c for some sight-seeing?), here’s a picture for you of some buffalo. Photograph by my mother-in-law over near the Saskatchewan-Alberta border. Aren’t they huge creatures?

020

Here’s a summary of the complete “Put Me in the Zoo!” look:

page3

So I started out with some buffalo check shirting….from a shirt. Yup, if we could do an upcycle week EVERY week I wouldn’t have any problem with that!

DSC_0515

I drafted a bodysuit-styled shirt for little E. He has one that I just love – no more untucked shirts! This was a originally a men’s shirt, so I was able to reuse the buttons and some of the contrast fabric (for lining the collar stand) from the original! The bottom has three Kam snaps to make diaper changes easy-peasy! I love the classic feature of the forward shoulder seam (although it’s extremely hard to see it on my very energetic 15-month old!).

IMG_0338

DSC_0653

DSC_0668

Then I went with some Buffalo-inspired jeans, using the Titchy Threads Small Fry pattern. I originally made these with a jersey/elasticized waistband, but the denim was just too stiff for it to look right. So I went back to the original design with an adjustable waistband. The jeans have a faux fly and faux front pockets. I reused some belt loops since I wanted to keep that authentic look. I also used a Kam snap for the fly closure. I LOVE Kam snaps!!! This was my first time making jeans, and I must say, as time-consuming as they are, what a great result!!

DSC_0734

DSC_0724

DSC_0635

I just realized I don’t have any action shots of the front of the jeans….I was seriously working up a sweat chasing after this boy, and he doesn’t even walk yet!

Keeping with the whole Buffalo Theme, I decided on a sweater with a leather buffalo head applique. I mashed up the Peekaboo Grand Slam raglan tee with the Hangout Hoodie placket idea and added a collar instead of the hood. I used Kam Snaps again :) This was upcycled from a huge sweater I scored at the thrift store! Lots left for other projects!

DSC_0644

I absolutely LOVE how this turned out!!! My husband is a hunter, so obviously this garment was a winner in his books :)

DSC_0541

Um, could he get any cuter???!!

DSC_0533

DSC_0693

And to round out his buffalo-inspired outfit, I finished with a camel-coloured corduroy blazer. Sorry…no buffalo here. Camels…they’re at the zoo too!

DSC_0762

This was vaguely taken from the Peekaboo Lily Knit Blazer pattern, but I changed it up to include a back vent, 2-piece sleeves with vents and buttons, and bias-trimmed seams inside. Also, I added elbow patches and patch pockets. The faux-leather buttons were perfect to match the buffalo applique!

DSC_0571

DSC_0582

DSC_0561

He found the buttons and was showing them to me :)

DSC_0751

DSC_0612 DSC_0604

I love how I can layer all the pieces together or use them separately…function is just as important as style to me.

DSC_0590

DSC_0628

DSC_0657

DSC_0712

Checking out a buffalo book at the library!

IMG_0340

Thanks so much for reading, and if you made it this far (I’m sorry, this was an extremely photo-heavy post!) congratulations! Check out all of the contestant entries and sewalong entries over at Project Run & Play and don’t forget to cast your vote (scroll down to the bottom of the page and just click on the one you want to vote for – buffalo baby is hoping it’s him!).

*this post contains affiliate links, but the pattern love and opinions are all my own!

Linked up at

Make It and Love It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

83 thoughts on “Project Run & Play, Week One: Buffalo, baby!

1. Laura

You did an incredible job! I always love seeing more sewing for boys. You’ve added so many amazing details and I love all the pieces. Your son is adorable too.

2. Ajaire

Sarah he is so adorable! This outfit makes an already cute baby look so snuggly. I want to climb through my screen haha. All of the details in this outfit are so well done. I’m very impressed!

3. erickmarnae

Great Job, Sarah! I love the outfit..and your little guy looks a lot like mine (he’s 14 months) but has a little less hair:) I love the sweater and that blazer is awesome!

1. Sarah Post author

Haha! I love the little man look too! The aviators make him look hilarious and charming all at once ;)

4. Melanie

Everything about this outfit is impeccable. Such a great job! I am sure photographing a crawler is just as difficult as sewing 4 articles of perfection too, ha ha!

1. Sarah Post author

Well, I gave him a wide open space (the library) and he was thrilled ;) I even had a friend come along to help but he just would not be contained!

5. Chrissy

All I have to say is WOW! You have inspired me to start sewing more for my littles. I wish to someday have a small percentage of your talent! :)

1. Sarah Post author

Do it!!! It’s so much more fun than adult clothing (in my opinion ;) and anything that little always looks extra cute!

6. Mikhaila

This is so adorable! I voted for you at project run and play! There are so many little details. WOW. I absolutely love the little plaid shirt onesies, and I was wonderin’ if you would think about doing a tutorial on how you made yours sometime. Oh, and your little boy is so handsomely adorable!!!

1. Sarah Post author

I could certainly do a tutorial :) I worked off a ready-to-wear onesie for sizing and such, but it would be a cinch to modify a classic oxford pattern!

7. Tasha and Amy

This is darling Sarah! And I love that you started out with a boy look – we need more of that! (How fun would that be for a season: All Boy?) I especially love the jacket :)
    Amy

8. MamaEggo

Oh I just adore this whole outfit – and what a cutie pie! Love seeing what others make for boys as it’s often hard to find good inspiration / examples!!!

1. Sarah Post author

Yes, boy sewing is much harder….which is why I’m more than likely only doing one boy look this season! I am trying to make more stuff for him though :)

9. Sally

What a snazzy look for such a cute little guy! Well done with the inspiration behind it all! And I love all of the upcyling! You don’t have relatives in Idaho do you? My sister married a Hogg..so thought I’d ask.

10. Teri

I love every single item in this look, but my favorite is the little mini man blazer! And as adorable as the outfit is, it doesn’t even hold a candle to that darling little boy of yours :)

1. Sarah Post author

Thank you :) Yes, we’ve had that book for a while, so I knew it had to get used in the photoshoot somehow!

11. Brooke

This is just SO AWESOME! The details are great! I have an active 16month old girl, so I know just where you are at. They are hard to get a good picture of! You did a great job!

12. Bonnie

Absolutely adorable!! I love that it’s such a handsome outfit that fits the theme beautifully, but it’s so very practical, too. (Your model sort of makes the outfit, though. What a cutie!)

1. Sarah Post author

I’m all for classy and practical! I hate it when I make something that doesn’t get worn! This outfit has already been worn numerous times, so it’s a winner :)

1. Sarah Post author

I plan on doing a tutorial for the onesie, but for the jacket I just used a few different tutorials. This one for the back vent: http://thesewingspace.com/2012/10/07/skirt-vent-sewing/ and this one for the sleeve vents: http://buzzybeesworld.blogspot.ca/2010/05/tricks-of-trade-jacket-sleeve-vents.html and this nifty trick for getting the patch pockets the same: http://off-the-cuff-style.blogspot.ca/2012/06/tutorial-fast-and-easy-twin-pockets.html (excellent blog, by the way – some really great tips on there!). Hope that helps!

13. Christina

All I can say is WOW! I love Project Run and Play and this is one of my favorite projects so far. Great job!

14. Shelly

Wow!!! This is just amazing! I think this outfit might be the most amazing outfit I have ever seen sewn! Wow! Wow! Wow! I’m in complete awe!

1. Sarah Post author

Thanks Justine! No, I’m not even close to being professional – but I have worked with some professionally-trained seamstresses in the past and they have taught me a LOT! :)

15. Pingback: YOU Made It and Love It: 7 — A Link Party (and last week’s favorites!) | Make It and Love It

16. olivia

Wow! These pieces look great and your little boy is such a cutie! Wish I had an inkling of your talent. Thanks for this inspiration. I better start working on something for my kids!

17. Whitney

I love every single piece of clothing!!!! I have 3 boys so I’m always looking for cute boys patterns. Love them all. Would love you to do a tutorial on the buffalo check shirt! That is a great idea